Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Little Piece of the South: Candied Pecans

Recently, I visited my sister in Charleston, SC and had one of the tastiest treats I've had in quite some time: candied pecans. She took me to several little candy shops where smiling faces hand you candy samples, hoping to lure you in. Let me tell you, it worked. She and I stocked up on several flavors of nuts as well as pralines, which were all quickly devoured in..well, let's not focus on minor details.

Anyway, I felt a craving for this particular treat today and did a google search to find this quick and tasty recipe.

Difficulty Level: Easy

You will need is:

1 egg white
1/2 cup brown sugar (I used white)
1 "dash" vanilla (I unashamedly used quite a good deal more than a dash)
4 cups pecans

To begin, preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Use wax paper or foil to line a large cookie sheet. In a large bowl, mix together the egg white with the sugar. Add vanilla. When the mixture is nice and smooth, mix in the pecans. Pour onto the lined baking sheet and stick in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.

While I'm being honest about the vanilla, I will admit I used a bit more sugar than was instructed. The result, however, was a truly awesome bin of pecans. Warning: they're highly addicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment